Non-binding
Holiday inquiry

What is the sum of 5 and 1?
 

Culture in Oberdrauburg

Castle Hohenburg

Castle Hohenburg  is the landmark of our village and was mentioned for the first time in 1375 in a document.

It lies on a hill to the north of Oberdrauburg and is to be reached from the village on foot at approx. 20-30 minutes. The castle was a big military castle with square plan and a mighty “Burgfried” which served as residential tower in the early days. Today the castle is in the possession of the municipality of Oberdrauburg which restored it affectionately.

For the first time mentioned in 1375, the castle was in the possession of the counts of Ortenburg. It has always had big strategic significance, since the old Roman Street to Aguntum (near Lienz) lead trough it. In the course of the centuries the castle was altered several times, so that the architecture shows Gothic and Renaissance elements. From the beginning of the 19th Century the castle started to go to ruin. It remained unoccupied and was acquired in 1842 - already as a ruin - by the people of Oberdrauburg at the time of mayor Anton Pichler. In 1911 the immense Burgfried collapsed.

Parish church Saint Leonhard

The parish church Saint Leonhard on mount Zwickenberg is the jewel under the Gothic churches in upper Carinthia  and was mentioned first in 1334.

The church dates back to the early settlers, the “Knappen”, of mount Zwickenberg and is consecrated to Saint Leonhard.

The church is an easy Roman-Gothic construction. The skilfully carved Late-Gothic winged altarpiece comes is dated 16th century and comes from Tirol artists, from the surroundings of Bolzano and Brixen. The shrine contains the figures of  St. Leonhard, St. Laurentius and St. Erhardt. The side wings show St. Barbara, Katharina, Margaretha and Dorothea. The worth seeing frescoes on the outside wall are dated 4th century and show a 2-part picture cycle of Leonhard’s legend.

Pilgrimage church Maria Pirkach

The pilgrimage church Maria Pirkach is the historically youngest church in Oberdrauburg and was built in 1803.

The pilgrimage church Maria Pirkach is in Unterpirkach to the west of  Ötting on the “Oberdrauburger Schattseite”. The church owes its existence of Holy Mary’s appearance and was established in 1803 as an endowment of the family Zabuschnig.

The church restored in 1963 and the consecrated to Mother of God Mary. The ceiling frescos of Christian BRANDSTÄTTER (1803) with altar paintings and the representation of the announcement are noteworthy. Also the legend of the appearance of Holy Mary is shown picturesquely.

Castle Flaschberg

The castle Flaschberg is the sister castle of Hohenburg castle and might have been built already in the 11th century on a jumping out rock nose.

The big castle is rectangular. In the centre of the castle court was a big palace with a round Romanesque entrance. From the early seventeenth century the castle was unoccupied and went to ruin visibly. Today fragments of the castle walls are maintained.

The ruin is to be reached through the Pirkacher-land route south-sided to the river Drau. From the village Flaschberg you can reach the ruin by foot. Today the castle area has not strongly grown together, the tower not to enter. Restoration works were stopped again.

Parish church to Ötting

The parish church in Ötting was mentioned in 1329 for the first time in a document and is dedicated to saint Georg.

The parish church in Ötting was as a typical military church in the possession of the ruling family of Flaschberg. Ötting was of great importance in the diocese of Aquilea. In the course of the renovation of the gothic church in 1945 miraculously wonderful gothic frescoes were exposed. They show the coronation of Holy Mary as well as the adoration of the saints. Also the founder of the church, Hans von Flaschberg, is illustrated.

The high altar with the figure of Holy Georg comes from the 18th century. The late-gothic figure of holy Katharina as well as the black Mother of God in the side altar cannot be left unnoticed, as they point out the narrow connection with the cloister of Altötting in Bavaria.

Parish church Oberdrauburg

The baroque parish church Oberdrauburg was built between 1805 and 1812. It was destroyed almost completely by the big fire of Oberdrauburg in 1870 and was restored in the late-baroque classicism.

The vault paintings from 1809 of the long wrongly Christoph Brandstetter are interesting . They show the martyrdom of the saint Florian, as well as the martyrdom and the death of a knight, which is supposed to be saint Oswald, to whom the church is consecrated.

Chapel to Maria Hilf

Northwesterly of Oberdrauburg, on the way to the ruin Hoehenburg, there is to be found chapel Maria Hilf , this tiny chapel was built at the end of the 18th century. It is built in the late-baroque style and shows a ceiling fresco of Georg Egger, the father of the big expressionist Albin Egger-Lienz.